Did you know that May is National Moving Month? Coleman Worldwide Moving is happy celebrate this exciting month in our industry along with our friends at the American Moving & Storage Association. Below, you will learn some valuable info about the moving industry and this busy time of the year in moving. We always recommend that you PLAN AHEAD and get your estimates and move booked as soon as possible. Please click the “Request a Quote Button” on the right side of the page or call 1-877-693-7060 to get your free moving quote today!
Professional movers move millions of Americans each year. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 11 percent of Americans move to new homes annually, with 3 million moves across state lines and 800,000 of those moves handled by a professional mover. Nearly a third of those moves happen in the summer, from June through August. According to a recent Economic Impact Study from the American Moving & Storage Association, the industry generates $85.7 billion in annual output, or almost half of one percent of the U.S. gross domestic product.
Additionally, moving and storage businesses directly employ more than 185,000 people, pay nearly $28 billion in wages and contribute more than $9 billion on taxes each year. One of the most important responsibilities of the professional moving industry is to transport the personal property of America's heroes — members of the Armed Forces and their families — from assignment to assignment. Annually, professional movers make around 380,000 military shipments worldwide. Many businesses also rely on a mobile workforce to attract talent to their company from around the country or around the world, and movers play a critical role in bringing workers to job opportunities.
As the nation kicks off National Moving Month, consumers are wondering how to plan a safe and successful move. Here are a few tips from the moving insiders as you start to plan your move:
- Do some comparison shopping. Check the company's ratings with the Better Business Bureau, and ask your family and friends for referrals.
- Get at least three free estimates. You can invite the mover into your home for the estimate, or some movers now offer estimates based on the photos and videos that you can submit online right from the comfort of your own home.
- Be sure to show the mover everything that needs to be moved, from the attic to the basement, plus any sheds, garages and storage areas. You'll want to make sure that the mover has a complete picture of everything that will be moved to get the most accurate estimates possible.
- Make sure you get these estimates in writing, by email or as an attachment. Avoid any that are too high or too low. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Choose a mover with a physical location near you, and drive by to check out their facility. A professional mover will be proud to show you how good a job they can do.
- Always ask questions if you don't understand something. A professional mover will want to make sure you get all the answers you need. Read every document carefully ahead of time, and make sure you get a copy of everything you sign. Do not sign any blank forms.