So you’ve done your research: You have five moving companies that you feel comfortable with – five moving companies that you feel will provide a solid service...
Now it’s time to get some quotes.
Here’s what you need to do to ensure it’s a smooth process through and through:
Take Your Time.
It’ll likely take you anywhere from two months to 10 weeks to choose your mover. The time span, of course, depends on the time of year.
Summer, for instance, is the busy season for moving companies – so definitely give yourself some time if you plan on moving any time between May and September.
Try to be flexible with your schedule – especially if you’re moving during the summer – as it may be more difficult to secure an estimate during this hectic time of year.
Know Your Load.
Avoid surprises and make the entire process easier – on yourself and your moving company – by having a solid understanding of your load.
Whether your move is commercial or residential, it is very important that you know exactly:
1) how many boxes you’re going to be transporting and
2) how many specialty (e.g., large, bulky, delicate or sensitive) items you’re going to be transporting.
Have this information on-hand before speaking with each moving company. This will ensure that each potential service provider is given a fair shake and, at the end of the day, that you find the best price.
Get It In Writing.
You’re entitled, by law, to a copy of your written estimate. That’s right. The FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association) requires moving companies to provide written quotes, which include an estimate of all charges:
· Transportation Charges – Driving to and from your location(s).
· Accessorial Charges – Extra charges, including packing, unpacking and additional pick-ups.
· Advance Charges – Fees from third-party service providers that are charged to the moving company and then billed to you, the client.
Getting all this information ahead of time will eliminate any surprises come move-in day.
For some more helpful tips, visit our San Diego movers page, fill out a Free Moving Quote form or just give us a call – we’re always happy to help!